Wednesday 18 June 2014

Sauteed Mustard Greens in Balsamic Reduction

Last year I bought some variety vegetable seed packs from West Coast Seeds that included some plants that I had not tried growing, and mustard seeds was one of them. They turned out to be the hit of the season. The young leaves had a very mild flavour with barely a hint of mustard, and we use them in green salads. As they grow, or if they are cooked, the mustard flavour becomes more pronounced.

I enjoy growing different varieties of greens that are not usually found in the grocery store. I think so many people do not like eating greens because they are used to bland flavours or they think they have to be eaten raw in a salad.

My favourite way to prepare mustard greens is to sauté them in coconut oil, garlic and balsamic reduction. Garlic and coconut oil is delicious, and the mild tang of the mustard combined with with sweetness of the balsamic vinegar is perfect. When I make this, as either a side dish or to go over rice or pasta, my husband and oldest daughter are happy.

I have found the trick to sautéing the greens is to heat up the pan then turn to a medium low heat, and turn them rapidly in the pan so they do not scorch or get soggy.

Mustard greens fresh from my garden



Ingredients:
  • mustard greens, cleaned, dried and cut into large-ish pieces
  • 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
  • 2-3 garlic cloves (or more to taste), minced
  • pinch of salt, optional (I prefer pink Himalayan salt)
  • a drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction

Balsamic reduction isn't difficult to make from scratch but I love these
infused reductions made by a local chef.  We first found them at a farmer's
market but they are now sold at the local grocery store. 



Method:

  • heat the pan (I prefer cast iron pans) then turn down to medium low
  • melt the coconut oil, add the garlic and salt (optional) and cook until beginning to brown
  • add the mustard greens
  • turn the greens with tongs rapidly, ensuring that all of the greens are lightly cooked and not soggy or burnt

  • take the pan off the heat
  • drizzle the balsamic reduction and turn the greens again to coat




  • serve over rice, pasta or quinoa, or as a side dish




No comments:

Post a Comment