Monday 25 August 2014

Summer Bounty

It's been a busy gardening summer, so busy that I haven't really blogged about my garden at all. On top of weeding, cleaning and reseeding, I water every day, which alone takes 30-40 minutes. It is a labour of love, and the time spent in my garden is my personal therapy session.

There is nothing more satisfying than walking out my back door and picking my food, and nothing compares to the taste of fresh, homegrown food. Recently I had a greek salad for dinner at a restaurant and it tasted bland compared to what I could make at home.

Every summer I am reminded about the true cost of our food. I am much less prone to wasting food when I have grown it with my own hands because I understand the effort that went into growing it. When I walk around farmers markets and groceries stores I'm astounded at how reasonable the food actually is, even though people complain about the high cost of fresh, healthy food.

I have four raised beds and multiple containers around the beds. Here is a selection of photos of my summer harvest:

For a family birthday party: greens (kale, chard, lettuce, beet, arugula),
cucumbers, carrots, dragon's tongue beans, tomatoes, peppers.


I tried something new this year: potatoes in grow bags. It was successful,
but next year I will go back to the garden beds to get a higher yield.



Asian greens, so good! I am currently starting new greens (sui choy and
bok choy) for my fall garden.



This mini harvest turned into pesto.




It has been a pretty good year for tomatoes, despite a rough start. The hot
summer has provided the perfect conditions for them. Now to pick them
before the squirrels eat them all! 



I like growing heirloom varieties too, like these yellow pear tomatoes.



The pride and joy of my garden: garlic! It was a bumper crop this year.



Speaking of bumper crop, my cucumbers have been amazing!




I'm trying four different varieties of hot peppers this year: jalapeƱo, habenero
yellow and red.


My beautiful yellow peppers, so sweet with a little kick.



My beets did very well too. There were a few gargantuan sized ones, but
these ones are so pretty when sliced.



It was my first year growing spaghetti squash and I have enjoyed it. This
is my first squashed harvested, and it was delicious.



My first successful year with onions, and the difference was buying the bulbs.
I have learned a lot this season, such as not planting onions with garlic.



Perhaps the hot, dry season wasn't as good for my zucchinis, which
did not produce as many as previous years.



Another first for me: edamame (soy beans), and I will definitely be growing
these again. 


Finally, the harvest today. I gave much of this to my neighbour who
has helped me so much by building my raised beds and fixing
my fence. He's so awesome.



My Garden This Season:

basil, thyme, cilantro, sage
arugula, salad bowl lettuce, mustard
chard
four varieties of kale
three varieties of beets
zucchini
spaghetti squash
two varieties of potatoes
yellow onions
four varieties of carrots
multiple varieties of sunflowers
cucumbers
multiple varieties of heirloom tomatoes
edamame
green beans and dragon's tongue beans
four types of hot peppers
radishes
bok choy 
celery
horseradish
hard neck and soft neck garlic
snap peas
blueberries
raspberries
strawberries






No comments:

Post a Comment